My studies in the next few weeks will take much more time than in the previous weeks, causing the allotment of time dedicated to this blog and working on the new Weblogs.us website will dwindle for the time being. Naturally the new website will take priority over this blog for the time being so it may be a week or two before the next update, depending on when the new site is launched.
Finally RPC-heir should work as expected; it only took two weeks of frustration, and the creation of a now unneeded subdomain, plus a little extra code in the default index.php file. In this though, security is higher, as only people on weblogs.us servers can ping the RPC server, otherwise they will receive xHTML.
As of this writing the Testimonials plug-in is mostly written, with all essential backend code in place. Users are able to view, and submit their own testimonial at will. These submitted testimonials aren’t viewable until they are approved by an administrator. In the administration panel, an administrator may add in, approve, unapproved, delete, and edit testimonials. All variables represented in the database for each testimonial may be edited in the testimonial’s individual edit page, even its unique ID. This was to overcome a slight issue that to resolve completely would require too many extra database reads and writes. Now work resumes on the layout end and AJAX functions for the plug-in. One last feature set would be nice to add to the admin panel is an option for randomizing the first seen testimonial. I just need to figure out where/how other plug-ins have been saving their settings as WordPress doesn’t specify a certain location in their API documentation.
I’m considering creating a Moo.fx plug-in for WordPress, so that various plug-ins can share a common library instead of many separate ones. It’ll have an admin panel that allows to select the inclusion of various parts of the Moo.fx family, incase not all of them are needed. Then all plug-ins with Moo.fx/prototype dependencies can just look for the function wp_moo.fx and if it exists, they can use that instead of adding redundant lines to the head of the xHtml document.
This is long over do, I know, but this past week has been hell for the WordPress servers for some reason at Weblogs.us so everyone’s blog has been up and down for the last week. Reliability has to be at about 70% right now. Every time I’ve meant to post something suddenly the blog is down. As I outlined in a quick blog which should have gone out at 1:00 AM today (it didn’t but I edited the time stamp and released it later today), Apache is crashing allot due to what we believe is an improperly coded WordPress plug-in which a Weblogs.us member is using. To help alive the situation I’ve disabled all of my plug-ins other than Bad Behavior to block spam. This means that my blog will be broken until the servers can handle the burden someone is placing on them.
We had a track meet last Wednesday, which was originally scheduled for yesterday but due to forecasted storms, which did take place, the meet was moved up a day. Wednesday was dry, for a spring day, and windy. The entire back straightaway of the track was at times directly into the wind, which made running more difficult than it usually is. Adding to the wind was the absence of uniform tops, since they didn’t arrive until today we had to run in t-shirts which was just great since we didn’t really look like a team with twenty or more different t-shirt designs. I accidentally left my Nalgene bottle at my second block class, which left me waterless for the races, which didn’t help my performance, but it was the first meet of the season so all is good.
I promise that, once the new Weblogs.us front page/website design is finished and implemented, I will post a new issue to the critique of Myspace profiles, the new name for the series will be launched at that time. ETA for this event is the second Friday in May. It would be the first Friday, but I’ll be out of town that weekend.