Since the last time the topic of Breadcrumb NavXT and bbPress Compatibility was investigated, almost 6 years ago, a little has changed in how both plugins operate. In fact, due to a change in how bbPress operates internally, Breadcrumb NavXT now supports post type jumping.
Out-of-the-box, forums and topics should work well. However, the settings recommendations have changed since the last visit of this topic. The current settings recommendations are:
- Forum Root Page and Topic Root Page – Set these to be equal and to whatever page you have set as ‘Forum Root’ under Settings > Forums.
- Forum Archive Display – Unchecked
- Forum Hierarchy Display – Checked
- Forum Hierarchy – Post Parent
- Topic Archive Display – Checked
- Topic Hierarchy Display – Checked
- Topic Hierarchy – Post Parent
What Doesn’t Work
Out-of-the-box, topic tag archives still won’t work as expected. Additionally, the search page, search results page, and user pages do not work. These all require custom, bbPress specific code.
Recently, Breadcrumb NavXT bbPress Extensions was updated to include support for the search page, search results pages, and user pages (at least the landing page for user pages, the various sub-pages are not supported yet). This is in addition to fixing the how topic tag archives show up in the breadcrumb trail.