Well it arrived yesterday, two days late, all I can say is that it is much nicer than my old wave keyboard that had the broken ‘z’ key (yeay! my ‘z’ key works now). I don’t like the mouse that came with it, mainly because I love my Logitech TrackMan Marble Wheel mouse. I won’t give it up until the day it stops working. At that point, I’ll get a new one. A full review with pictures will come after I get to test it for a while.
I’ve finally gotten mtekktux to a place where it is actually useful, rather than a just ‘geeky’ project. I have it set up as a file/print server, of which it took many hours out of yesterday and a few min. this morning to get the printer to work and then shared. I have file sharing working with a nice public folder and Apache, MySQL, and PHP seem to be working together in a nice way. I just need to share to www folder or get FTP to work. I think folder sharing may be easier to do, and more convenient.
If you are reading this you’re probably not sure how to subscribe to the CHS podcast but you want to. You’ve come to the right place; I’m going to guide you through finding the podcast and subscribing to it in iTunes. If you don’t already have iTunes installed on your computer then you should head over to Apple.com and download a copy and install iTunes. Continue reading
Well since about 9:00 pm last night my Gentoo 2005.1 server has been compiling KDE 3.4.1. I though that the kernel taking about two to three hours was long until I compiled Xorg-x11 which took something like three to five hours. Now KDE is officially the longest compiling thing I’ve compiled. It’s at about 19 hours in and still compiling, I expect it to complete by tomorrow morning. The next program to emerge after KDE is all up and running is TightVNC and then Apache, MySQL and PHP.
I had a problem with Xorg-x11 before, it kept crashing but that is because I have an entirely USB system that I’m installing it on. It had issues finding my Microsoft USB optical mouse, yeah I know MS and Linux don’t really go together, but I have several just laying around not in use. I had to manually configure the mouse and screen resolution and then x11 worked.
Yeah, I finally got the thing working. After replacing an IDE cable and the hard drive and still receiving the same error I was getting before I actually looked at what the kernel was trying to do. This lead me to the problem, fixed a simple fstab script—the default script had issues/fillers that I forgot to fix. In particular a /dev/ROOT instead of what should have been /dev/hda3, after fixing that it booted. I go to emerge xorg-x11 and the sourceforge server is having issues so I can’t get some required files. Right now, I’m recompiling my kernel so that it natively supports my Intel 810 integrated graphics, USB mass storage devices, and USB printing. So in about an hour I’ll be able to reboot to the new/custom kernel and then hopefully emerge X11 and KDE so that I get a nice GUI ;) .