While the GoPro HERO is nice and small, a consequence of this small size is poor battery life. Battery backpacks can help extend the run-time. However, they can be finicky and do not add that much to the device run-time. Another solution is using a power cable. Preferably, one that plugs into the HERO port so that a case can be used.
After finding the PaPiRus ePaper panel, I picked up a Raspberry Pi Zero W to drive it. To be perfectly honest, the early Raspberry Pis never really excited me. However, the Raspberry Pi Zero’s small footprint caught my attention. Add in WiFi and Bluetooth, as found on the Zero W, and you have a solid IoT starter board.
Thanks to the popularity of the Raspberry Pi, both Funtoo and Gentoo have guides on setting up Funtoo/Gentoo on a Raspberry Pi. Getting a base system up and running is straightforward. Though, if you have to compile anything it will take a while.
Currently, there are several, closely related template tags that each exhibit slightly different behaviors. These are:
%fhtitle%. As their names suggest, they will be replaced with the resource’s title. However, how this title is processed differs between the tags.
Note that the “Max Title Length” setting is deprecated. Hence, both
%fhtitle% are deprecated and not recommended for use. They are included in this discussion for the sake of completeness.
Below is a table outlining the behavior of these tags for the same title with the max length set to ~10 characters and with the max length setting disabled.
|Template Tag||Max Title Length1||Title||Result|
|%title%||10||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders||Hello <em…|
|%htitle%||10||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders||Hello <em…|
|%ftitle%||10||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders||Hello World Leaders|
|%fhtitle%||10||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders|
|%title%||Disabled||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders||Hello World Leaders|
|%htitle%||Disabled||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders||Hello <em>World</em> Leaders|
%title% and %htitle%
Notice that the resulting strings for the standard
%title% tag and the
%ftitle% tag do not contain HTML tags. Thus, they are safe for use within HTML tag attributes (e.g. the title attribute). To maintain HTML tags present in the resource’s title, use the
%ftitle% and %fhtitle%
Note that the Max Title Length setting does not affect the resulting string for the
%fhtitle% template tags. In fact, by design, they are the same as
%htitle% when “Max Title Length” is disabled. However, note that since the Max Title Length setting is deprecated, these template tags are as well.
Lastly, note that when using the Max Title Length setting, HTML tags may be left open or even incomplete. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that CSS is used to trim the breadcrumb title length rather than the deprecated Max Title Length setting. An additional benefit to using CSS is it does not mess with the actual content of the breadcrumb trail, allowing search engines to pick up on the full titles rather than the trimmed ones.
[end of transmission, stay tuned]
After assembling my new home server, I ran into a bit of a heat issue. The Xeon-D SOC would get quite hot under load (80C), and was a little warmer than desired while idling (40C). Attempting to cool itself off, the motherboard kept the chassis fans spinning fast enough to be annoyingly loud. Since the heatsink installed on the motherboard was designed for 1U compatibility, and the case I’m using is 2U tall, it was not getting the airflow it was designed for.
As part of my new home server build, I picked up a used Super Micro SC216 chassis. This chassis has 24x 2.5″ drive bays in the front, 3x 80mm fans in the mid-plane, 7 half-height expansion slots in the rear, and dual PSUs. While dual PSUs are overkill, the rest of the features should make for a nice Xeon D based storage chassis.
Once the chassis arrived, I noticed that the previous owner had mutilated the 24 pin ATX power cable. The PS-ON, and the GND pin next to it, had been clipped at the connector and spliced together with a crimped pigtail splice. Typically, this is done so that the PSUs are always on when using the chassis as an external JBOD box. Since I would like the soft power button to function properly on the case, this needed to be fixed.
Luckily, I had an 24 pin ATX power cable from a dead PSU. Using that cable as a donor, I replaced the PS-ON and GND pins in the power connector. Then, I made a solder splice between the PS-ON (and GND) in the power distributor and the corresponding replacement in the connector. With the lines reconnected, I was able to power up my test board (an old core 2 duo board). Now the chassis is ready for a Xeon D motherboard.
[end of transmission, stay tuned]