Well, the ongoing web coding/design implementation project is taking a little more time than initially expected (well, not necessarily true, but things are going along nicely now). The new HP LP2475w helps with coding and debugging, the extra screen real estate is nice–I’m literally surrounded by screen now. It is too bad that currently no two screens show the same color in my setup. By far my ancient Dell 1702FP shows the truest colors, though the HP LP2475w should be able to match it once calibrated properly. Only one stuck subpixel, naturally it had to be the green one, so on darker colors it sticks out, but on lighter ones is is not noticeable. Thanks to the small size of the pixels, one stuck subpixel is not really a problem. Gaming wise, my system is too weak to push the full resolution to the monitor on any modern games. However, Worms Armageddon supports the 1920×1200 resolution just fine, most maps fit within the screen, which is awesome.
An update to Breadcrumb NavXT will come out late next week. This is a feature adding release, and so far three things have been improved. I’ll be looking into paged archive/post/page pages for this release, and probably qtranslate support as well (through a wrapper of sorts).
Now for the fourth set of images for this project. I finally found some stain that I liked, and hence went to town staining the wood case. The stain is a gell stain, which I’ve never worked with before. Since it was old (found it in a bunch of old wood working tools) I was surprised it was any good. It says to apply liberally and wipe off after 5 to 10 minutes. Due to it’s age, leaving it on that long would result in it drying too much, a very bad thing, but nothing a little water can’t take care of.
The case all fits together now, but the mounts for the hard drive are causing some problems that allow it to power up but Windows will not recognize it. What is happening is the little converter board that plugs into the hard drive gets tweaked and the data connector loses it’s connection. This will require redrilling mounting holes in the bottom aluminum plate, this time I’m going to use the drill press and hopefully that will be the end of the project.
Masking the status/power LED window.
Testing the gell stain on the inside.
After removal of gell stain.
Applied gell stain to the outside.
Another view of gell stain on the outside.
First removal, nice color, but too light for this mod.
Closeup of the one side, the color is nice, but not what I’m after.
Another picture of the case with the lite stain.
Overall view of the lighter color.
Application of second layer of stain gell.
After removal of the second layer of stain gell.
Another view of the richer color.
Soldering up the status LED.
Closeup of the lead on the status LED.
Status LED connected to board.
Glueing the status LED into the window area.
Using a bit of hot/thermal glue to adhear the status LEDs.
Notice how tall that is, it didn’t fit so I had to redo the status LED.
After a bit of clipping, the status LED now fits properly.
Adding more glue.
A better closeup of the new, shorter assembly.
Nice rich color of the outside of the case.
Overview of the stained case.
Everything is put together now.
Time for a little testing, the white LED is for power, blue for activity.
Onto the third set of pictures for the wooden external hard drive case. As of now all that really needs to be done is to stain the wood. Since I don’t have the stain I want to use at hand, that part is not complete yet. Since the last set, the attachment mechanism was figured out. Turns out wood glue works good for tapping wood for M3 screws. The activity and power LEDs were mounted together, and the polycarbonate window for them was placed in the case.
Going To Use Some Wood Glue To Thread The Holes
Using Wood Glue To Thread The Wood
M3 Screw In Glue To Cast Threads
M3 Screw All The Way In
All Four M3s In Glue Waiting To Dry
Removing Screw After Glue Dried
The Glue Threaded Hole
Drilling Out The Power/Activity LED Hole
Frosted Polycarbonate Window For Activity/Power LED
Here is the second set of photos from the external hard drive case mod. I ran into a few problems, some out of haste, but oh well. The wood also decided to warp due to the increased humidity that accompanies Minnesotan summers. Anyways, like last time the photos are in the gallery after the break.
A project log using the WordPress 2.5 gallery features for a external hard drive case made out of maple, which happened to be left over trimming from the remodeling of our house. Eventually it will be stained to the same color as the trim. Note that I had wanted to post this sooner, but the WordPress flash uploader was broken. Some how it magically broke more, allowing the old uploader to show up.